Wednesday, September 24, 2008

GOOD DAY.

I was never a fan of silver screen musicals. I love music, but I never really appreciated the idea of replacing dialogue with lyrics, probably because this takes away much from the movie's realism.

However, the poster of Mamma Mia! caught my attention for the actors featured on it seemed to beckon, "Take a chance take a chance take a chic-a-chance-chance take a chance on me!" The stellar cast (ethos) and apparently catchy ABBA music were also compelling reasons for me to actually try this 'new' genre for myself.

And I have to admit, I did 'sort of somewhat' enjoyed myself a little. The plot was brilliantly ridiculous; singing and acting were fairly good but I think it was the renowned Swedish (not American!) pop band's evergreen music that ultimately endeared the characters to me.

The melody of the songs are all pleasing to the ear; but in my opinion, it's the easy-to-comprehend lyrics that made ABBA, and hence Mamma Mia! a worldwide success. If the songs' simple lyrics were replaced with bombastic words instead, things might not have turned out the same for the band and movie. Choosing the right words is important- the difference may seem insignificant but the subtleties are paramount to an audience's perception, communication. As the saying goes, "God is in the details."

Take a chance on Mamma Mia!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i watched it in aussie. almost the whole cinema started laughing (out loud (how rude (but somewhat understandable))) when pierce started singing. i enjoyed it too! left the cinema feeling happy :)

-rayner

COM 125 Class B said...

hahahha. pierce singing really does seem a funny idea... but glad you enjoyed it nonetheless =D

Sonia said...

a movie's cast definitely helps in one's selection of a movie! i'd watch movies which people say aren't good just to see actors that i like!